Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Program Administrator to provide support to the Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch (EIDB) at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Silver Spring and Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to EIDB.
This position requires a high degree of professionalism, ability to engage/interact with the executive staff within EIDB/MHRP/WRAIR, HJF, military, outside federal agencies, universities and industry partners. This position requires a strong understanding of business processes, resource management (finance, budget, accounting, auditing, management, and program analysis), security operations, logistics (facilities, supply, inventory, base transition, transportation, traffic management, mobilization), public affairs, information management, contracting (procurement, realty, acquisition), administrative services, program inspection, and laboratory staff.
This position requires the ability to anticipate requirements and be proactive, based on information provided either by EIDB leadership and senior staff, or from participation in meetings.
- Independently completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for EIDB, including:
- Managing multiple active calendars of appointments, conferences and meetings based upon knowledge of the leadership’s schedule and commitments.
- Composing and preparing professional correspondences.
- Receiving incoming telephone calls and personal callers. This involves determining if a call can be referred elsewhere and obtaining required background information if necessary.
- Preparing a daily briefing folder inclusive of daily appointments, issues for decision, requests for appointments, and necessary background information.
- Receiving, screening, and distributing incoming email and reviews and preparing reply drafts for outgoing correspondence.
- Attending meetings and providing meeting minutes.
- Scheduling meetings and arranging events.
- Coordinating, booking and processing leaderships travel arrangements and expense reports.
- Arranges complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, justifications and agendas. Compiles documents and prepares a complete travel dossier. Confirms travel arrangements prior to departure, submits documentation for travel reimbursements, processes expense reports and tracks any other travel issues to resolution.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the EIDB leadership. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hand-on approach, including drafting letters, justifications, correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the effectiveness of the organization.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs, completes assigned tasks expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Organizes and coordinates visits to EIDB/WRAIR from outside parties.
- Attends meetings as required and transcribes notes and minutes from meetings.
- Maintains an organized, efficient, and accessible electronic and hardcopy document filing system.
- Routinely handles confidential and sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented; excellent interpersonal skills; motivated to work in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to maintain complete discretion in all matters.
- Ability to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations.
- Ability to research and draft correspondences, justifications, travel reports and other documents as assigned.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent organization skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to multi-task and to prioritize work to meet constant deadlines.
- Working knowledge of the US Department of Defense Travel System is preferred.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred.
Minimum Experience: 4 to 6 years of relevant experience.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: This position reports to the EIDB Associate Director of Programs and Operations within HJF.
Work Environment: Office environment.
Background: Must have lived in the US 3 out of the past 5 years; eligible to pass a NACI background.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.