Join the HJF Team!
The Henry Jackson Foundation in support of the Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch (EIDB) at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research is seeking a Research Physician Emerging Infectious Diseases to be based at the Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) in Bethesda, Maryland and Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR), Silver Spring, Maryland.
The Research Physician will support of the Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research mission to ‘To identify, prepare for and comprehensively and rapidly respond to emerging infectious diseases that threaten the US Warfighter and the Global Community’.
The Research Physician will contribute to a broad project portfolio in all stages of development, from concept to final report inclusive of presentation at scientific conferences and publication in the peer-reviewed literature. These projects range from disease surveillance to regulated clinical research and vaccine product development. Activities will be executed both in the US and internationally.
The Research Physician will be hired through the Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF). HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support to the EIDB, MHRP at WRAIR.
We are seeking a qualified physician scientist (M.D. or D.O.) with experience and advanced training in regulated clinical product/public health research, excellent written/oral communication skills, and the ability to effectively lead and contribute to complex, multidisciplinary, international research projects. Physicians with laboratory research experience are especially sought.
- Design, direct and execute infectious diseases surveillance and clinical research studies to support the EIDB mission.
- Write and manage grant proposals to obtain funding from multiple funding sources.
- Plan, direct and/or assist with all aspects of clinical research activities.
- Analyze data and prepare data and study findings for presentation at scientific meetings and publication in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- Generate relevant program status reports to the branch, institution, government agencies, sponsors, research partners and others.
- Conduct clinical research according to approved protocols as a study Principal Investigator, Protocol Chair, or Associate Investigator, and maintain ethical and regulatory compliance as well as the integrity of study data and health and welfare of study participants.
- Conduct clinical research studies involving administration of investigational products according to the principles of current Good Clinical Practices (cGCP), Good Laboratory Practices (cGLP), and Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) and in accordance with all relevant host nation, US Federal, Department of Defense (DoD) and Army regulations and policies.
- Provide appropriate medical oversight and study-related clinical decision making including the identification, classification, management and reporting of adverse events.
- Perform and oversee medical procedures associated with clinical research.
- Contribute to the creation, composition, maintenance and execution of clinical research protocols and supporting documents including study related budgets and status reports.
- Maintain licensure, credentialing, medical board certification and other certifications.
- Understand and implement the concepts and best practices of ethical research per CITI, HIPAA, and Good Clinical Practice training standards.
- Establish and maintain current clinical trial sites, supervise site staff and activities, and develop effective relationships with partners and collaborators (e.g. DoD, USG, NGOs)
- Assist with oversight, management, coordination of research activities and communication between study sites and EIDB leadership.
- Coordinate with other members of the EIDB to train, support, and supervise additional research activities and personnel as needed.
- Perform other assignments as assigned and required in support of EIDB and EIDB leadership.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Current clinical competence, prior research experience and a thorough knowledge of the procedures, methods and regulations governing regulated clinical research.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to successfully lead and/or participate as a member of complex, multidisciplinary research teams.
- Able to travel within US and to international research venues
- Excellent oral presentation and scientific writing skills.
- Laboratory experience preferred but not required.
- M.D., D.O., or equivalent degree
- Completion of medical specialty post-graduate training.
- Medical specialty board eligibility or certification.
- Advanced public health or research degree (e.g. MPH, MS, Ph.D., DrPH) preferred.
- 6+ years of public health/clinical research.
- Position requires extended periods of standing and sitting.
- Incumbent must be able to travel domestically and internationally and provide support to clinical research activities in potentially austere environments.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration:
- (MD or DO) Current licensure to practice medicine within the continental United States and specialty board certification/eligibility.
- May supervise multidisciplinary contract staff.
- Hospital, clinic or office environment and international field sites.
- U.S. permanent resident or citizen.
- Must have lived in the US 3 out of the past 5 years
- Eligible to pass a NACI background.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.