Come Work at HJF!
Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Research Assistant III for the new Cellular Immunology Section at the HIV Research Program (MHRP) located at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in Silver Spring, Maryland. Responsible for research and/or development in collaboration with others for projects. Provides laboratory and technical support to senior technical and professional staff.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures:
- Isolates PBMCs, freeze cells
- Performs cell-culture of primary cells and cell lines
- Propagates and clone primary T cells
- Performs advanced flow cytometry analyses
- Conducts functional assays on primary cells including proliferation, cytokine secretion, co-culture assays
- Isolate rare live cells using magnetic separation of flow cytometry
- Conducts molecular techniques for high throughput qPCR analysis
- Uses RT-PCR to quantify HIV provirus and viral particles
- Perform Luminex and Simoa quantifications of cytokines and p24
- Performs other assays as assigned
- Develops experiments with new tools in cellular biology, immunology and virology
- Develops, adapts, and implements new research techniques and protocols
- Provides data analysis, organization and interpretation
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, and protocols
- Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks
- Maintains laboratory inventories for biological samples
- Establishes and maintains databases for research projects
- Maintains compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures
- Provides leadership in the proper procedures for laboratory safety and procedures
- Provides leadership in the proper disposal of infectious and hazardous materials
- Provides quality control, troubleshooting and the maintenance of specialized reagents and equipment
- Works independently and participate in collaborative efforts as a member of a diverse research team
- Maintains supplies in the laboratory and keeps the laboratory area clean.
- Place, receive and track laboratory orders
- Assists with training laboratory staff and visiting scientists as required
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of complex laboratory techniques; ability to follow basic instructions; good communication and analytical skills
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelors degree in a scientific discipline
Minimum Experience: 4 to 6 years laboratory experience
Physical Capabilities: long periods of standing and sitting; handling various chemicals
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: may provide guidance to lower level laboratory staff
Work Environment: laboratory environment
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.